This is a solution of disaster management assignment help in which we discuss that when disaster come we strong get up and help other peoples.
Disasters are known popularly as the result of ill-managed hazards and risks, in contemporary issues. The risks involve hazards and vulnerability. It can be termed as calamity, which has shaped itself to fruition. It is a jeopardized situation, may be as a result of natural calamity, or a catastrophe made by human beings.
These types of disasters impose a great threat and even question about the continuity of any business.
To combat with such scenarios Simulation exercises can be practiced at large and learn to manage disaster situations. (Read more about : Dissertation on Telecommunication Industry Brand loyalty)
Definition of Disaster:
Disaster is an event, which causes damage, injury or loss of life and destruction of property to a great extent. The calamitous effect of disaster is often immeasurable and affects the backdrop of that society, namely sociology Energy Economics , cultural legal and political. Disaster often results in disruption of daily schedules, functioning of the concerned area, loss of resources (manpower and material), and several other things. Disaster is unpredictable, uncertain, and urgent in nature imposing threat to the affected part of the society. Disaster may be natural (flood, cyclone, drought, earthquake, etc) or man made (setting of fire, industrial crisis, riots, accidents, epidemic etc)
An organization must be ready to face any kind of disaster at any time and must maintain a database where numbers to be contacted in case of emergency, the addresses of those organizations are maintained.
The following are the roles of different enitites
- Police: Police must ensure the safety and security of the people concerned and also maintain law and order at the location. Police may provide certain simulation exercises to help them to learn to manage crisis.
- FIRE service: Fire operators must reach the location with urgency with necessary equipment. The operators must prevent panic among the people, caught hold by fire. Fire service often practice drill exercises. They must provide the organization with some in-basket exercises to train them to combat such situations.
- Ambulance: ambulance service must be contacted along with Police and Fire service, and not wait until the rescue operation is finished. There must be one or two doctors in the ambulance with highly skilled nurses and other staffs who are expert to well-manage emergencies.
Role of House of Fraser:
Administration should ensure proper evacuation of customers, staffs specially women and children. They must be quick in action and immediately contact the statutory services. They must ensure not to generate panic and advise to stay calm as far as possible and wait for someone to rescue them. They must enquire the reason why the incident took place. As a future planning model, the organization can go for suitable restructuring of the location creating exit doors, training people with fire drills and other exercises to deal with emergency situation. Arrange psychological rehabilitation for the affected persons to recover from the trauma.
It has become the most vital factor in organizations. The organization is a complex establishment where various types of activities run, consuming various resources and manpower. This surely involves risk of loss of property or life. As business is always uncertain, one should be prepared for an emergency situation and emergency planning and preparedness is thus way, has become most important factor.
Emergency Planning is important to prevent fatalities and injuries, loss of property and life. It also reduces the damage to buildings and resources of an institution. It helps us in resuming normal operations.
Simulation exercises are a must need to be prepared for such scenario. Several trainings like Emergency simulation programme can be taken up and key personnel must be well aware of the simulation exercises, like what to do and when to do.
SIMULATION exercise provides with a clear guideline:
Simulation improves- Response: by notifying and identifying and assessing of an incident.
- Accountability, mobilization and evacuation of staff
- Disaster recovery
- Escalation process
- Internal and external communications and other PR issues.
- Coordination and allocation of recovery teams and recovery resources
- Set up alternative set up and arrangements.
- Prioritization of business recovery process.
Recovery: with a view to increase business capacity, to near business, making term and planning consideration.
Reconstruction: Switch back to normal day-to-day operations. In this case everybody must act in liaison to get hold of the situation and restore the process.
Statement to be read out at the time of Press Conference:
We are apologizing to all the victims, and their family members and relatives for the trouble they are going through due to the accident happened at the House of Fraser. Fire has taken hold at large rising upwards from basement due to a sudden explosion at the car parking area. Investigation is on process to enquire about the cause of the accident took place, and we are searching for the responsible person, if any, who will be accused and punished if found guilty.
Our sincere condolences at the demise of 63 innocent people, and we feel extremely sorry that despite of our all effort we could not save them. We promise to bear all expenses carried out in treatment of the victims-injured, burnt and dead. We have informed Phillipines government and arranging transportation for our foreigner friends so that they could reach their home safely. We are trying our best to combat with the situation and need your patience and cooperation to the fullest.
“A simulation of a system or an organism is the operation of a model or simulator which is a representation of the system or organism. The model is amenable to manipulation, which would be impossible, too expensive or unpracticed to perform on the entity it portrays. The operation of the model can be studied and for it, properties concerning the behavior of the actual system can be inferred”
“Simulation is to assume the mere appearance of, without the reality. Simulation is the process of designing a model of a real system and conducting experiments with this model for the purpose of understanding the behavior (within the limits imposed by a certain criteria or set of criteria) for the operation of the system”
The purpose of Simulation is to raise awareness, increase coordination between interdepartmental and intradepartmental activities, connectivity and close liaison between local statutory services, and state disaster response force.
There should be increased public relations with the media and relatives of the victims. Improvement:
Simulation means a range of scenario based crisis simulation exercises, customized to meet organization’s unique situation ant team’s learning objectives.
There should be a crisis management team (CMT).
When a crisis strikes the organization the effect on business is dramatic. Particularly if the onset is sudden the first few hours are very crucial.
The crisis simulation exercises are generally classroom-based exercises involving crisis management team or business recovery team leaders and their deputies that allow theoretical testing of response to imaginary incidents.
Purpose of simulation:
- It validates plans.
- Allow learning in a safe and risk free environment under expert guidance.
- Raise awareness and increase coordination.
- The best way to test immediate responses to a sudden and debilitating situation.
Advantages of SIMULATION:
- Existing systems can be studied and it does not disturb the ongoing operation.
- Proposed systems can be tested before allocation of resources is done.
- Helps to minimize time.
- Helps to identify bottlenecks.
- Identifying those variables which are particularly important to system performance.
How does it Work:
CMT starts with an Ad hoc model where intent is to get the suited people together if an emergency situation comes and how to deal with it.
Building a Team: Simulation exercises add value to emergency plans and these things can’t be done alone. For an effective simulation programme to be conducted, a team must be prepared and it should be active.
While building a team the prime important thing is to maintain a good relationship between team members. Effective leadership, and communication and coordination between team members can help in building a relationship.
Role of a leader in building a Team
- After the orientation of the group is done, it is important to establish
- Communication network.
- Identify leader roles.
- Clarify responsibility and authority
- Develop plans for goals accomplishment.
- Resolve interpersonal conflicts.
- Renewal, strengthening of role and interdependencies.
- Strong motivation towards goal accomplishment.
- Emphasis on relationship oriented behavior
Developing interaction with everyone in the team is very important.
- Active listening
- Tone of voice.
- Delegation and leadership
Interpersonal skill reduces conflicts and increase productivity in the organization.
Why Simulation is needed:
This is of prime importance because experiencing a problem scenario is needed to manage actual crisis, or it will be very hard for anybody to bring it back on rails.
- Helps in sharpening managerial decision-making skills.
- Provides insights into a certain managerial problems.
- It has potential to expand or compose time.
- Ability to control resources.
- Ability to check in every step, by Stop and Review method.
- It can restore system state.
- Also facilitates replication.
MONEY FACTOR: SIMULATION is Cheaper!!
The biggest advantage of simulation is it minimizes cost in number of ways.
It is the most cost effective way to test certain business continuity activities.
The cost of simulation exercises, which provides familiarity with the crisis management process and develops the mindset to face challenges in real life scenario, are much less rather than recovering the business on its track again.
The cost of restoring the system is much higher than simulation exercises.
It also helps avoidance of death and injuries of staffs and other people.
Cost of life is always of supreme importance, so it is wise to spend money on simulation exercise rather than spending on recovering the business, where often the recovery is not also possible.
Improving Responses through simulation:
By applying simulation we can improve responses, because simulation maps the act of generating immediate responses in a certain emergency situation. Performing simulation activities can enhance the responses of all the statutory services, increasing collaboration, coordination, and practicing identifying the real need of the emergency scenario, handling PR issues, minimize casualties etc.
Disadvantages of Simulation:
Simulation results may not be always interpreted correctly. The whole exercise is a model exercise and the success depends on how good a model is, whether it is applicable in real life scenario or not, how successfully they have practiced the model, whether can be implemented or not. It takes time to create a successful model and implement it properly. Therefore it is often time consuming and expensive. The cost of operational trials is growing and limited budgets are blocking the way for proper simulation exercises. It is hard to analyze what can be done in a practical situation; often the exercises under guidance do not give the proper idea regarding what to do in a real life emergency. Though there are few disadvantages of Simulation still it is wiser to practice simulation because advantages are much in numbers.
Once the simulation process is established it is important to evaluate the whole process. Evaluation summarizes the total process-what has been learnt and effectiveness of the training. It is a type of internal assessment, which enables to examine the whole set up. After proper evaluation streamlining of simulation can be done to achieve maximum possible potentiality of the programme. Realistic problems should be given and examine how everybody is contributing to the solution. Evaluation can also be done by various simulation games. The simulation game replicates different activities of real life, in form of a game. It can provide proper training, analysis or prediction. Simulation gaming can be done for data management, crisis management, diagnostic simulation and social process simulation. Through the term” game” willful participation of all staff can be achieved, and “simulation” adds to its importance. The proper evaluation involves strategy, skills and chances, which are applied to simulate an aspect of reality. (See more about : Social Networking Service Assignment Help)
- Cross, T., Bazron, B.J., Dennis, K.K., & Isaacs, M.R. (1989). Towards a culturally competent system of care. Washington, DC: Howard University Press
- Department of Economics Planning and Statistics (DEPS).(2006, Turks and Caicos Islands. depstc.org/pressreleases/2006/jun06/0629a.html
- Fararo, T.J. (1981. Biased networks and social structure theorems. Social Networks, 2, 1-18.
- Green, J.W. (1995). Cultural awareness in the human services. Second Ed. Toronto: Allyn & Bacon.
- Katada, Toshitaka, Kuwasawa, Noriyuki, Kanai, Masanobu and Hosoi, Kyohei (2004). Execution and the Evaluation of Disaster Prevention Teaching to the Owase City people using Tsunami Disaster Scenario Simulator Social technological Research Paper Collection, Vol.2, pp.199-208, and October.
- Katada, Toshitaka Junsaku Asada!Noriyuki Kuwasawa and Yasushi Oikawa (2000) Development of Practical Scenario Simulator for Dissemination of Disaster Information Journal of Civil Engineering Information Processing System, Vol.9, pp.129-136,
- Katada, T., Aoshima, S., and Oikawa. Y. (1996) Oral Communication Network Model for Refuge Warning against Disaster.
- Wu, S., Shuman, L., Bidanda, B., Kelley, M, Sochats, K., and Balaban, C., 2007, “Disaster Policy Optimization: A Simulation Based Approach,” Proc. of the 2007 Industrial Engineering Research Conference, Nashville, TN, 872-7.
- Wu, S., Shuman, L., Bidanda, B., Kelley, M., Sochats, K., and Balaban, C., 2007, “Embedding GIS in Disaster Simulation,” Proc. of the 27th Annual ESRI International User Conference, San Diego, CA, paper no. UC1847.
- Ehrgott, M., 2005, Multicriteria Optimization, 2nd Edition, Springer, New York.
Australia assignment help provide assignment writing service based on case study requirements in affordable prices and we are providing most flexible online assignment writing help, so book your Assignment with us, Order Now